New roofing systems
As a homeowner, you know the roof on your home is important in protecting your family, your belongings, and your home in general. You also know that a roof replacement is an expense you don’t want to need if you can avoid it, right? So, how can you know when you have the option for roof replacement vs repair?
That is what we are going to discuss in this article. When it comes to roof replacement, how often should a homeowner expect this to be needed, when is roof replacement and insurance come together so that it isn’t an out-of-pocket expense? We will answer these items and a few others, so that hopefully, you become an informed homeowner when it comes to the subject of your home’s roof replacement needs, or not.
When should I replace my roof?
Roof replacement frequency is different for every home. What you should know that is by the time you see water stains on the ceiling, you’ve already had a leak for some time. Your roof could have been having some problems that you weren’t aware of, and the leak just made its appearance. The following are tips to let you know a roof replacement may be needed sooner than later:
- The Roof Age – if your roof is an asphalt shingle roof, you can expect 25 years from a 30 year warrantied roof. Another factor in the age is if the roof you see was applied over an existing roof. This can minimize the ventilation, making roof replacement, how often sooner than normal.
- Buckled and Curled Shingles – shingles that are buckled or curled should tell you to get a roof replacement estimate soon. You may be able to wait a bit before having the job done, but a professional roofing contractor will do an inspection and provide you an estimate. If they find anything of concern during the inspection, they will advise you whether waiting for a roof replacement is wise or not.
- The Valleys – were two roof planes meet is called a valley. Typically, there is metal flashing over the shingles. If the flashing is loose or missing, or any shingles are missing, have a professional roofing contractor inspect your roof. Depending on how much of the valley has been compromised and exposed, roof repair may be possible instead of roof replacement.
- Missing shingles – If you are missing any shingles, call a professional roofing contractor for an inspection, and hopefully just replacing a few shingles is all that is necessary.
- The Chimney – the same flashing that is used in the valleys is placed around the chimney where it comes up through the roof. Any loose or missing flashing, any missing grout, are all possible indications of a leak, or possibility of a leak. A professional inspection by an experienced roofing contractor will tell you if you need roof replacement or not.
- The Gutters – If the gutters have asphalt shingles in them, it isn’t a concern if there isn’t much, but if there is a lot, and you’ll know what a lot is when you see it, then your roof is worn out and a roof replacement is needed.
- Daylight – climb up in the attic and if you notice any day light coming through the roof at any point, you need a professional roofing contractor come inspect the roof. It may just need some repairs, but you may also need roof replacement.
Is it better to repair or replace a roof?
There are more times that you can replacea few shingles and put off a roof replacement a little bit longer. Depending on the tips we listed above, you and your roofing contractor can make this determination. Think ahead of today when making that decision. If there is another winter of ice and snow coming, or another hot summer, will the current roof make it with just a few replaced shingles?
Are you planning on being in the house another 10 years or longer? You could benefit from a roof replacement in the way of energy efficiency and tax credits. Are you planning on painting or having new siding installed soon? A roof replacement would give you the opportunity to upgrade your home’s curb appeal.
Can you patch a roof instead of replacing it?
It depends. How bad of a patch is needed? If the area is exceptionally large, roof replacement is the better solution. If you have your house on the market, a roof replacement could make it sell faster and get your more ROI, but if you’re on a tight budget, you may need to do just what you can get by with, very understandable. If there is a leak where rain comes through, then a patch won’t be sufficient.
What happens if you don’t replace roof?
There are areas of your home that need you to check on a regular basis. Make sure there isn’t anything that needs repairing or replacing, the roof is one of those areas. What happens if you don’t keep an eye on the roof and your house needs a roof replacement?
- Water Damage: Neglecting an older roof will allow water to seep in, damage the roof even more, and possibly your home’s entire structure.
- Health Risk: Along the lines of an old, leaky roof. Holes in a roof can cause big problems for your home and your health. Open areas of the roof allow insects and rodents inside; mildew and mold begin growing; all of which can create health hazards.
- Structural Damage or Collapse: A roof replacement that is ignored becomes a serious hazard for the structure, which could collapse.
- Devalue Property: When a roof replacement is ignored, it makes the house look dirty and old, creating a poor curb appeal and taking away from the value of the house.
- Fire Hazard: By putting off a roof replacement, you could be putting your home at risk for fire. Water leaking through the roof can get into the electrical connections, causing a short.
Do gutters have to be removed when replacing a roof?
It is advised to remove them before a roof replacement is done primarily because of the job they perform, and if possible, replace them entirely. Removing the gutters allows the roofing contractor to install the roof replacement correctly.
Your home is an investment that should have your full attention. There are components that are important to the house, one of them is the roof. As a homeowner, you should calculate when a roof replacement is going to be needed and begin saving toward that goal so that you’re not hit by an unplanned expense. Dial (405) 470-9115 today for your roof replacement needs in Yukon and Oklahoma City, OK.