What is a standing seam metal roof?
What makes metal roofing appealing—other than durability—is the variety of options available for both residential and commercial roofing. Not only do you have a wide variety of metals to choose from, like aluminum and steel, but also you have different styles from corrugated metal to standing seam. Standing seam roofing has become a standard for metal roofs. A standing seam metal roof features metal panels with concealed fasteners. Concealed fasteners offer greater protection from the elements, which means more protection against rust and other damage. If you are looking to install a metal roof and want expert standing seam metal roof installation in Yukon and Oklahoma City, OK, look to the professionals at Chisholm Trail Roofing & Construction. Find out more about all our roofing options by calling (405) 470-9115.
Is standing seam metal roof worth it?
More and more people are choosing metal roofs for their homes, even though they often cost more than an asphalt shingle roof. Typically, a standing seam metal roof is installed, although this type of roof is generally more expensive than not only asphalt shingles but also other types of metal roof like corrugated metal. That’s because standing seam offers plenty of advantages despite the cost. Those advantages include:
- Longer lasting: You can your metal roof to last 50 years or more compared to the maximum of 25 years for an asphalt shingle roof.
- Greater protection from elements: Metal roofs hold up better to weathering, especially when it comes to high winds and hail. You’re also less likely to experience leaks with metal.
- Greater energy efficiency: Metal roofs reflect heat much better than shingles, so your roof will be more energy efficient.
- Lighter weight: Surprisingly, metal roofing panels actually weigh less than shingles by as much as one pound per square foot.
What are the disadvantages of a metal roof?
Although metal roofs have many advantages like longer life, they also have some disadvantages that include:
- Cost: Initial installation costs can be prohibitive, although costs can sometimes be offset by tax credits.
- Noise: Without adequate insulation, a standing seam metal roof will be noisy when it hails or even heavy rain. Most metal roofs, however, are backed with rigid foam insulation that will provide adequate insulation.
- Expansion and contraction: Metal expands and contracts as the temperature changes. Improper installation can cause problems like panels loosening. You won’t have to worry about improper installation when you choose Chisholm Trail Roofing & Construction as your roofer.
Can you put standing seam metal roof over shingles?
If you’re planning to upgrade your asphalt shingle roof to a standing seam metal roof, you might wonder if you can save on labor costs by not tearing off the shingles and just install the metal over it. It is a possibility, but not necessarily practical or effective. To do so, the shingles have to be at the end of their useful life and not have any damage like cracks or blisters. This is rare.
Other issues that can create serious problems later on include:
- Covering decking: You won’t be able to inspect the decking for any problems once a metal roof is installed over it.
- Finding leaks: It will be almost impossible to trace any leak that develops.
- Replacing roofing materials: Materials like underlayment, which helps protect the roof from leaks, can’t be replaced.
Can you walk on a standing seam metal roof?
At times, no matter what kind of roof you have, you or a roofing professional will have to walk on the roof. This can be for minor maintenance or for serious repairs. All types of roofing can be walked on for these purposes, and you should take care when walking on all roofs to avoid damage. If you have a standing seam metal roof and need to walk on it, you are generally safe to walk on any part of the roof. Still, check with the manufacturer or a roofing professional to find out how best to walk on any roof.
Can you paint standing seam metal roof?
Anytime you want to change the color or add some color to your metal roof, you have the option to paint it. When you do so, it’s best to use acrylic latex paint as it will adhere to the metal better than other types of paint. You also want to choose a paint that provides properties like water and fire resistance as well as UV reflection.
What is the best color for a metal roof?
Color is always important when you’re installing a standing seam metal roof. All metal roofs are highly reflective and will affect your building’s overall energy efficiency. In warmer climates, you’ll want lighter colors like white, light bronze, or beige because these colors will better reflect the heat. Darker colors will absorb more heat and are more effective in cooler climates.
Can you repair standing seam metal roof?
If your standing seam metal roof in Yukon and Oklahoma City, OK has been damaged and you need experienced professionals to make repairs, you can always rely on Chisholm Trail Roofing & Construction. Call us today at (405) 470-9115 to get an estimate.